We awoke to about 8 inches of snow. Unless it starts raining soon, we won't be leaving tomorrow as planned. From what we understand, the weather will start warming up by Friday; however, not much is said about what will happen at the higher elevations--1,400 feet for us.
When we decided to leave after Christmas, we discussed the possibility of snow. We agreed that in our many years in Portland, we hadn't seen snow on Christmas. The weatherman agrees. We heard on the news that the last time there was "more than a trace" of snow on Christmas was way back in 1937.
We seem to be able to control the weather with our actions. When we installed an air conditioner one summer at our other house, we caused the wettest and coolest summer ever for all of Portland. When we went to Europe for our 25th wedding anniversary, bad weather (in mid-May!) caused a cancellation of our flight. And so, this just seems another in a string of weather bad luck for us. No problem. We still have plenty to do to get ready.
But enough whining. We will continue to keep you posted on our departure date. Until then, take care all.