Friday, December 28, 2007

Winchester Bay, Oregon,+Uninc+Douglas+County,+OR,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

We managed to get out of Dodge this afternoon. We made two stops, one in Sherwood, to get Mike the hiking boots he forgot; only when we stopped, he realized he didn't have his wallet. So . . . we ditched the hiking boot effort and drove to Newberg, where we unhitched the trailer in the abandoned parking lot of the old Wilco (which had conveniently moved in September), while Mike drove the truck home to fetch his wallet, his hiking boots, and the cash he'd left sitting on his desk. (Sigh.)

Ok! So we finally got going around 4:00 p.m. and drove in the rain and dark until we reached Winchester Bay, which is just south of Reedsport. You can check out the link above to see exactly where we are. This area is great for ATVers (like us!). It is near the southern part of the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. We arrived here around 7:30, and we're presently waiting for our homemade chicken pot pies to come out of the oven. And hey! There goes the timer now!

So, since I don't have anything of interest to say, except that we actually got off the mountain, I'll stop here. Tomorrow, we'll continue on south along the Pacific Coast Scenic Byway (aka Hwy 101), until we reach Redwood National Park, or whatever else suits us. We expect a very short day tomorrow. Take care.

Still here . . .

It seems the snow has stopped, but we didn't get enough rain to clear the roads. We had about 10 inches before all was said and done. While we were promised a higher snow level (400 feet above us), the snow that fell still remains. As I write this Tractorman is out plowing the road so we can get out. The place that concerns us most is the dipsy-doodle on our shared driveway. Many a car and pick-up truck has slid off into the ditch at that spot, including my old Jeep Grand Cherokee. The idea of towing a 35-foot long, 14-foot tall fifth wheel trailer over that spot is more than a little bit terrifying! So, the temperature has risen, and we expect the snow will continue to melt today. If Mike plows the road, we should find only slush at that spot. However, if it happens at all, it looks like it will be late in the day before we can be on our way. We may get only as far as the nearest RV park, but we will be down below the snow level. We're keeping our fingers crossed.